Sandra Faye Oppegard
After graduation from the Pasadena Art Center of design where she majored in illustration, Sandra Oppegard worked as a freelance illustrator for twenty-three years. Her former list of clients includes Max Factor, Jafra Cosmetics, Viviane Woodward, Redken, Giorgio, Bullocks, Baskin-Robbins, Mattel Toys, and the L. A. Civic Opera. Now making her home in Kentucky, Sandra is a Full member of the AAEA and a member of the Kentucky Watercolor Society.
She exhibited at the Women Artists of the West 2nd International Exhibition of Western Art; and won first place in Watercolor in 1990 and 1991 at the Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Equine Art Show and Sale at Longacres Racetrack in Renton, Washington. She participated in the First Annual Equifestival Art Show in Lexington, Kentucky, and won the Ruth Robbins Memorial Award for Watercolor. Sandra was the feature artist for the Mayfield Auction of Millbrook, New York, with her series of driving horses; her work has appeared on the covers of The Anvil, Keeneland Magazine, and in the Polo Magazine art issue of November 1991.
Sandra's most recent one-person show was at the Cross Gate Gallery, in Lexington, Kentucky which also represents her. Her intimate knowledge of thoroughbred racing has been gained from working with her husband Victor, a longtime trainer of Thoroughbreds in California, as well as from visiting numerous tracks around the country. This imbues her racing scenes with authenticity combined with great affection for the colorful work of trainers, grooms and exercise riders. As a result, her work has become a favorite with persons working in the horse business.
In 1998, Sandra was commissioned to paint 15 watercolors of various horse breeds in period settings for Charles Schwab's Bitterroot Stock Farm, Golf and Equestrian Development in western Montana. Testifying to her unique ability to capture life on and off the track, Santa Anita Race Track purchased her 17 Minutes to Post and presented it to jockey Fernando Toro upon his retirement; and Fasig-Tipton, Inc. recently commissioned her to do a series of pieces for their corporate offices.
- Best of Show (Painting) - An Equine Odyssey, 1997. Horse Artists Association Show, Lexington, KY.
- 1st Place Watercolor, 1990 & '91 - Washington Thoroughbred Breeders Association Equine Art Show, Renton, WA.
- Ruth Robbins Memorial Watercolor Award, 1991.
- Equifestival Art Show, Lexington, KY.
- Founders Award for Painting, 1994. - American Academy of Equine Art, Annual Juried Exhibition, Lexington, KY.
- Barrett's Equine Ltd.
- Del Mar Racetrack
- Mrs. Bruce Hundley, Saxony Farm
- Mr. Bernie Sams
- Santa Anita Racetrack
- Mr. Barry Simon
- Fasig-Tipton, Inc.
- Charles Schwab's Bitterroot Stock Farm
- Cross Gate Gallery, one-person show, 2000, Lexington, KY.
- Barrett's Sales Pavilion, Pomona, CA.
- Cross Gate Gallery/Fasig-Tipton Sporting Art Auction, Saratoga Springs, NY., 1996, 1997, 1998.
- Cross Gate Gallery, Five Female Sporting Artists, Lexington, KY, 1999.
- Horse Artists Association Art Show, Echoes of Equus, Kings Art Center, Hanford, CA, 1998.
- Mayfield Auction, Millbrook, NY.
FULL ARTIST MEMBERS